3.11.2008

Nation's First Men's Roller Derby Tournament

On Saturday I DJed with KUPS The Sound at Throwdown in the Sound - the "nation's first men's roller derby tournament."

It was an interesting experience. I witnessed a bizarre subculture that's alive and well in Tacoma. As I searched for team names and pictures I came across some information I could have done without. Apparently one of the event's announcers, who goes by the name Deevious Silvertongue, does "roller derby technical play-by-play" on a regular basis - and he is a "semi-pro wrestler" to boot.

People kept joking about gender equality because roller derby has traditionally (I use the term here loosely)
been a female sport. I think women would be way more exciting to watch because they'd probably be a lot more ruthless. In my opinion, there were too many rules and not enough violence at this men's derby. I was looking forward to pain and the possibility of blood. False advertising.

I was also expecting WWE-style bodies ready to slam other skaters into the ground. Instead, I saw large, soft bodies mounted on freakishly strong legs.

In addition to not being brutal enough, the men skaters also looked a little femmy. I mean, you're on quad roller skates. The only people who can make that look butch are female roller-derby skaters.

Here are some pictures I took of the event, but there are way
better pictures from the Tacoma News Tribune.



Setting up the equipment.




The track set up in the Tacoma Soccer Center.





The penalty box - er, folding chairs in front of this sign.





A skater from the Twin City Terrors. This team was very angry the entire time claiming that the refs were making too many calls in favor of the Puget Sound Outcast.

No comments: