3.11.2008

Creating Synthetic Life or What Am I Doing With My College Education?

I like to watch these short videos on TED.com and pretend I know what's going on in the world. Here is one where Craig Venter speaks on the possibility of creating synthetic life in the near future. It had some interesting implications on what our world will look like when this technology is possible and whether the research is worth the danger this technology might cause someday. It got me wondering about what exactly I'm spending my time on at school.

I've come to the conclusion that the science and math kids beat my social science major 10:1 when it comes to intelligence needed. Sure, my chemistry major friends can't write their way out of a paper bag, but so what? They're learning things that could potentially change the world. I'm learning how to write long papers about government subsystems and other crap nobody cares about.

RE: Future employers- I am a very good typist.

No comments: