6.13.2008

TWITTING OUT or I've Become One of Those People

Great. Just great. Another site where my friends and I can make snarky comment updates and judge each other accordingly. Thank you, Twitter.

I looked at this site about a year ago when Bob Boilen made a Twitter account for NPR's All Songs Considered. My first reaction was, "Well, I guess I must do whatever Bob Boilen is doing because he's super rad."

I was deceived.


I'm paraphrasing, but his updates read something like this:
"im wiating to get inside this venue." (9.58pm)
"waiting to get interview with john v." (10.34pm)

"stupidassname [or the equivalent] is playing right now." (10.38pm)
"talking to john's managre" (11119rglkn)
"intervvie isas;f go" (10.ae)


So, what was the point of following my radio hero's Twitter account when I could hear a polished podcast 24 hours later? There wasn't one. Twitter was therefore stricken from my 2.0 daily checklist.

Until now.





Now that I work in an office where some people use it, and I have 21st Century ADDeficiency Disorder (a disease in which everyone must know what I am thinking and/or doing every second that I am awake), Twitter.com has become my next internet home. Second Life still seems weird, stupid, and creepy, but judging by this easy transition into yet another site that conjoins my real and online identities, it wouldn't take much for someone to convince me to become a really hot avatar saleswoman who actua
lly never leaves her closet and survives on SpaghettiO's.

I've found friends with Twitter profiles that haven't been updated in months, but have since been awakened now that I've become a "Follower" of their updates. I actually see these people every day in person, but I will now encourage them to tell me anecdotes over the internet instead of during the time when we hang out (which will, from now on, be deemed "Quiet Time").

I'm becoming more and more connected to my world through grammati
cally poor sentences on a screen.



Internet. Hooray internet.

Update: You can follow my tweets here. Twitterphiles need not apply.


No comments: