7.29.2008

Baking Ventures

I had the afternoon off today and the weather was kind of gloomy, so I thought I'd do some baking. I planned on making banana bread, but I also wanted to make some muffins because I need breakfast I can grab on the way out the door for those 4:45am shifts, and I get tired of granola bars.

After looking through my huge Better Homes and Gardens Cook Book (a
gift from my mother to inaugurate my independent womanhood, I suppose), I settled on Oat Bran Muffins. These sugar-free muffins looked like a healthy morning meal and, having never baked with oat bran before, I thought I'd give it a shot. I also used a Multi Purpose Baking Mix in lieu of all-purpose flour, so these muffins are gluten and wheat free to boot.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oat Bran Muffins


















Prep:
15 min Bake: 16 min

Oven: 400F Makes: 12 muffins

You will need:
Nonstick cooking spray
1 1/4 cups oat bran
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 beaten egg
3/4 cup applesauce
1/2 cup fat-free milk
1/4 cup honey
1 tablespoon cooking oil
1/2 cup raisins or snipped dried fruit

1. Lightly coat bottoms of twelve 2 1/2-inch muffin cups with cooking spray; set aside.
2. In a medium bowl combine oat bran, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Make a well in center of flour mixture; set aside.
3. In a small bowl combine egg, applesauce, milk, honey, and oil. Add applesauce mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy). Fold in raisins.
4. Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups. Bake in a 400F oven for 16 to 18 minutes or until golden and a wooden toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean Cool in muffin cups on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove from muffin cups; serve warm.


Aside from the oil, I'm okay with everything in this recipe. The muffins came out in dense, un-risen lumps and they tasted a little too healthy, but I think they'll make a great breakfast food. If I make them again I think I'll substitute butter for the oil and try to add a little more honey to sweeten 'em up.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The recipe for the banana bread I make comes out of the Better Homes and Gardens book as well and it's been consistently delicious each time.

Banana Bread















Prep:
25 min Bake: 55 min
Oven: 350F Makes: 1 loaf

You'll Need:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 beaten eggs
1 1/2 cups mashed bananas (5 medium)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup cooking oil or melted butter or margarine
1/4 cup chopped walnuts

1. Grease bottom and 1/2 inch up the sides of one 9x5x3-inch loaf pan; set aside. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Make a well in center of flour mixture; set aside.
2. In a medium bowl combine eggs, bananas, sugar, and oil. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy). Fold in nuts. Spoon batter into prepared pan.
3. Bake in a 350F oven for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted near center comes out clean (if necessary, cover loosely with foil the last 15 minutes of baking to prevent overbrowing). Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan. Cool completely on a wire rack. Wrap and store overnight before slicing.


I suggest using butter and always cover with foil after 40 minutes in the oven. Check if the bread is done by using a toothpick or fork. It usually requires an extra 5-10 minutes.


No comments: